- in or according to the fashion.
- (of pie or other dessert) served with a portion of ice cream, often as a topping: apple pie à la mode.
- (of beef) larded and braised or stewed with vegetables, herbs, etc., and served with a rich brown gravy.
- fashionable in style, design, etc
- (of meats) braised with vegetables in wine
- mainly US and Canadian (of desserts) served with ice cream
1640s, from French à la mode (15c.), literally “in the fashion” (see mode (n.2)). In 17c., sometimes nativized as all-a-mode. Cookery sense of a dessert served with ice cream is 1903, American English.