- according to; in the manner of: a short poem à la Ogden Nash.
- prepared in the manner of, to the taste of, or by: chicken à la provençale.
- prepared with the ingredient of.
- in the manner or style of
- as prepared in (a particular place) or by or for (a particular person)
from French à la, “in the manner of;” used in English in French terms from fashion or cookery since late 16c.; used in native formations with English words or names from c.1800 (first attested in Jane Austen).
Like, in the manner of, as in He hoped to break all records, à la Babe Ruth. This expression, an abbreviation of the French à la mode de (for “in the manner of”), has been used in English since the late 1500s.