- the act or state of abating or the state of being abated; reduction; decrease; alleviation; mitigation.
- suppression or termination: abatement of a nuisance; noise abatement.
- an amount deducted or subtracted, as from the usual price or the full tax.
- a reduction of a tax assessment.
- the termination of a nuisance.
- a wrongful entry on land made by a stranger, after the owner’s death and before the owner’s heir or devisee has obtained possession.
- a decrease in the legacies of a will when the assets of an estate are insufficient to pay all general legacies in full.
- Also called rebatement. Heraldry. a charge or mark that, when introduced into a coat of arms, indicates the owner’s disgrace.
- diminution or alleviation; decrease
- suppression or terminationthe abatement of a nuisance
- the amount by which something is reduced, such as the cost of an article
- property law a decrease in the payment to creditors or legatees when the assets of the debtor or estate are insufficient to meet all payments in full
- property law (formerly) a wrongful entry on land by a stranger who takes possession after the death of the owner and before the heir has entered into possession
mid-14c., from Old French abatement, from abattre (see abate).