- a cleansing with water or other liquid, especially as a religious ritual.
- the liquid thus used.
- Usually ablutions. a washing of the hands, body, etc.
- the ritual washing of a priest’s hands or of sacred vessels
- (often plural) the act of washing (esp in the phrase perform one’s ablutions)
- (plural) military informal a washing place
“ritual washing,” late 14c., from Latin ablutionem (nominative ablutio), noun of action from past participle stem of abluere “to wash off,” from ab- “off” (see ab-) + luere “wash,” related to lavere (see lave).