- repugnantly hateful; detestable; loathsome: an abominable crime.
- very unpleasant; disagreeable: The weather was abominable last week.
- very bad, poor, or inferior: They have abominable taste in clothes.
- offensive; loathsome; detestable
- informal very bad, unpleasant, or inferiorabominable weather; abominable workmanship
mid-14c., from Old French abominable (12c.) and directly from Late Latin abominabilis “deserving abhorrence,” from stem of Latin abominari “deplore as an evil omen” (see abomination). Sometimes misdivided in earlier centuries as a bominable. Also often abhominable 14c.-17c. Related: Abominably.