- any material or substance used for grinding, polishing, etc., as emery, pumice, or sandpaper.
- tending to abrade; causing abrasion; abrading.
- tending to annoy or cause ill will; overly aggressive: an abrasive personality.
- a substance or material such as sandpaper, pumice, or emery, used for cleaning, grinding, smoothing, or polishing
- causing abrasion; grating; rough
- irritating in manner or personality; causing tension or annoyance
“an abrasive substance,” 1853, from abrasive (adj.).
- The property of a substance that causes surface wear by friction.
- The quality of being able to scratch or abrade another material.
- Causing abrasion.
- A material used to produce abrasion.