- an extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply: an abundance of grain.
- overflowing fullness: abundance of the heart.
- affluence; wealth: the enjoyment of abundance.
- Physics, Chemistry. the number of atoms of one isotope of an element divided by the total number of atoms in a mixture of the isotopes.
- a copious supply; great amount
- fullness or benevolencefrom the abundance of my heart
- degree of plentifulness
- chem the extent to which an element or ion occurs in the earth’s crust or some other specified environment: often expressed in parts per million or as a percentage
- physics the ratio of the number of atoms of a specific isotope in a mixture of isotopes of an element to the total number of atoms present: often expressed as a percentagethe abundance of neon-22 in natural neon is 8.82 per cent
- Also called: abondance a call in solo whist undertaking to make nine tricks
mid-14c., from Old French abondance and directly from Latin abundantia “fullness, plenty,” noun of state from abundantem (nominative abundans), present participle of abundare “to overflow” (see abound).