- Architecture, Civil Engineering.
- a masonry mass supporting and receiving the thrust of part of an arch or vault.
- a force that serves to abut an arch or vault.
- a mass, as of masonry, receiving the arch, beam, truss, etc., at each end of a bridge.
- a mass or structure for resisting the pressure of water on a bridge, pier, or the like.
- each of the parts of a canyon or the like receiving the thrusts of an arch dam.
- a structure for absorbing tensions from reinforcing strands for concrete being prestressed.
- the place where projecting parts meet; junction.
- Dentistry. a tooth or tooth root that supports or stabilizes a bridge, denture, or other prosthetic appliance.
- the state or process of abutting
- something that abuts
- the thing on which something abuts
- the point of junction between them
- architect civil engineering a construction that takes the thrust of an arch or vault or supports the end of a bridge
- A natural tooth or implanted tooth substitute used to support or anchor a dental prosthesis.