- a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity; vast chasm.
- anything profound, unfathomable, or infinite: the abyss of time.
- (in ancient cosmogony)
- the primal chaos before Creation.
- the infernal regions; hell.
- a subterranean ocean.
- a very deep or unfathomable gorge or chasm
- anything that appears to be endless or immeasurably deep, such as time, despair, or shame
- hell or the infernal regions conceived of as a bottomless pit
late 14c., earlier abime (c.1300, from a form in Old French), from Late Latin abyssus “bottomless pit,” from Greek abyssos (limne) “bottomless (pool),” from a- “without” (see a- (2)) + byssos “bottom,” possibly related to bathos “depth.”