- something that speeds up a process.
- Chemistry. accelerator(def 5).
- a substance that accelerates the spread of fire or makes a fire more intense: Arson was suspected when police found accelerants at the scene of the fire.
- chem another name for accelerator (def. 3)
1854, from Latin accelerantem (nominative accelerans), present participle of accelerare (see accelerate). As an adjective from 1890.
- A substance, such as a petroleum distillate, that is used as a catalyst, as in spreading an intentionally set fire.