- customary; usual; habitual: in their accustomed manner.
- habituated; acclimated (usually followed by to): accustomed to staying up late; accustomed to the noise of the subway.
verb (used with object)
- to familiarize by custom or use; habituate: to accustom oneself to cold weather.
- usual; customary
- (postpositive foll by to) used or inured (to)
- (postpositive foll by to) in the habit (of)accustomed to walking after meals
- (tr usually foll by to) to make (oneself) familiar (with) or used (to), as by practice, habit, or experience
late 15c., “made customary, habitual,” past participle adjective from accustom (v.).