< /ˌæs ɪˈtæb yə lə/.
- Anatomy. the socket in the hipbone that receives the head of the thighbone.
- Zoology. any of the suction appendages of a leech, octopus, etc.
noun plural -la (-lə)
- the deep cuplike cavity on the side of the hipbone that receives the head of the thighbone
- a round muscular sucker in flatworms, leeches, and cephalopod molluscs
- the aperture in the thorax of an insect that holds the leg
n. pl. ac•e•tab•u•la (-lə)
- The cup-shaped cavity at the base of the hipbone into which the ball-shaped head of the femur fits.cotyloid cavity