- the act of allocating; apportionment.
- the state of being allocated.
- the share or portion allocated.
- Accounting. a system of dividing expenses and incomes among the various branches, departments, etc., of a business.
- the act of allocating or the state of being allocated
- a part that is allocated; share
- accounting, British a system of dividing overhead expenses between the various departments of a business
- social welfare (in a Social Services Department) the process of assigning referrals to individual workers, thus changing their status to cases
mid-15c., from Middle French allocacion, from Medieval Latin allocationem (nominative allocatio), noun of action from past participle stem of allocare (see allocate).