- the act of allotting.
- a portion or thing allotted; a share granted.
- (in U.S. military use) the portion of pay that an officer or enlisted person authorizes to be paid directly to another person, as a dependent, or an institution, as an insurance company.
- British. a plot of land rented to a gardener.
- the act of allotting; apportionment
- a portion or amount allotted
- British a small piece of usually public land rented by an individual for cultivation
1570s, “action of allotting,” from Middle French allotement, from Old French aloter (see allot). Or else a native formation from allot + -ment. Meaning “portion assigned to someone or some purpose” is from 1670s.