- of, pertaining to, on, or part of any lofty mountain.
- very high; elevated.
- (initial capital letter) of, pertaining to, on, or part of the Alps.
- Botany. growing on mountains above the limit of tree growth: alpine plants.
- (often initial capital letter) of or relating to downhill skiing or a competitive downhill skiing event.Compare Nordic(def 3).
- (initial capital letter) Anthropology. having the features characteristic of an Alpine.
- (initial capital letter) Anthropology. a member of a Caucasoid people found in central Europe and characterized by heavy body build, medium complexion, and straight to wavy hair.
- of or relating to high mountains
- (of plants) growing on mountains, esp above the limit for tree growth
- connected with or used in mountaineering in medium-sized glaciated mountain areas such as the Alps
- skiing of or relating to racing events on steep prepared slopes, such as the slalom and downhillCompare nordic
- a plant that is native or suited to alpine conditions
- of or relating to the Alps or their inhabitants
- of or relating to an episode of mountain building in the Tertiary period during which the Alps were formed
- of or relating to a high mountainous environment heavily modified by glacial erosion
“of the Alps,” early 15c., from Latin Alpinus; see Alp. Earlier was Alpish (1590s).
- Resembling or characteristic of the European Alps or any other high mountain system, especially one that has been shaped by intense glacial erosion.