- the act or process of amalgamating.
- the state or result of being amalgamated.
- Commerce. a consolidation of two or more corporations.
- Metallurgy. the extraction of precious metals from their ores by treatment with mercury.
- the action or process of amalgamating
- the state of being amalgamated
- a method of extracting precious metals from their ores by treatment with mercury to form an amalgam
- commerce another word for merger (def. 1)
1610s, noun of action from archaic amalgam (v.) “to alloy with mercury” (see amalgamate). Figurative, non-chemical sense of “a combining into one uniform whole” is attested from 1775.