- any of a class of compounds derived from ammonia by replacement of one or more hydrogen atoms with organic groups.
- variant of amino- as final element of a compound word: Dramamine.
- an organic base formed by replacing one or more of the hydrogen atoms of ammonia by organic groups
n combining form
- indicating an aminehistamine; methylamine
- Any of a group of organic compounds of nitrogen that may be considered ammonia derivatives in which one or more hydrogen atoms have been replaced by one or more hydrocarbon radicals.
- Any of a group of organic compounds that may be considered derivatives of ammonia (NH3) in which one or more hydrogen atoms have been replaced by a hydrocarbon radical. In aniline (C6H5NH2), for example, one hydrogen atom has been replaced by a phenyl group (C6H5). Amines are produced by the decay of organic matter.