- a person or thing that amplifies or enlarges.
- an electronic component or circuit for amplifying power, current, or voltage.
- an electronic device used to increase the strength of the signal fed into it
- such a device used for the amplification of audio frequency signals in a radio, etc
- photog an additional lens for altering the focal length of a camera lens
- a person or thing that amplifies
1540s; agent noun from amplify. Electronic sense is from 1914; shortened form amp is from 1967.
In electronics, a device that takes a small electric signal and converts it into a large one. Amplifiers are used in stereo systems, electric guitars, and loudspeakers.