- full of life, action, or spirit; lively; vigorous: an animated debate on the death penalty.
- made or equipped to move or give the appearance of moving in an animallike fashion: animated puppets.
- containing representations of animals or mechanical objects that appear to move as real ones do: an animated window display.
- full of vivacity and spirit; lively
- characterized by movement and activityan animated scene met her eye
- possessing life; animate
- moving or appearing to move as if alivean animated display
- pertaining to cinematographic animation
1530s, “alive,” past participle adjective from animate (v.). Meaning “mentally excited” is from 1530s; “full of activity” from 1580s. The “moving pictures” sense is attested from 1895; of cartoons from 1897. Related: Animatedly.