- of or relating to or .
- inducing or like something that induces .
- susceptible to , as a person.
- inducing sleep.
- an agent or drug that produces sleep; sedative.
- a person who is susceptible to .
- a person under the influence of .
- of, relating to, or producing hypnosis or sleep
- (of a person) susceptible to hypnotism
- a drug or agent that induces sleep
- a person susceptible to hypnosis
1620s, “inducing sleep,” originally used of drugs, from French hypnotique (16c.) “inclined to sleep, soporific,” from Late Latin hypnoticus, from Greek hypnotikos “inclined to sleep, putting to sleep, sleepy,” from hypnoun “put to sleep,” from hypnos “sleep” (see ). Modern sense of “pertaining to an induced trance” first recorded in English 1843, along with hypnotist, hypnotize, both coined by Dr. James Braid. Related: Hypnotical; hypnotically.
- Of or relating to hypnotism or hypnosis.
- Inducing or tending to induce sleep; soporific.
- An agent that causes sleep.