- a swollen part; swelling; protuberance.
- an uncontrolled, abnormal, circumscribed growth of cells in any animal or plant tissue; neoplasm.
- inflated pride; haughtiness.
- pompous language; bombast.
1540s, from Latin tumor “swelling, condition of being swollen,” from tumere “to swell” (see ).
- An abnormal growth of tissue resulting from uncontrolled, progressive multiplication of cells and serving no physiological function; a neoplasm.
- A swollen part; a swelling.
- See neoplasm. See Note at cancer.
An abnormal mass of new tissue growth that serves no function in the body. Tumors are usually classified asor and are often caused by .