- the act of or the state of being .
- realization in advance; foretaste.
- expectation or hope.
- previous notion; slight previous impression.
- intuition, foreknowledge, or prescience.
- Law. a premature withdrawal or assignment of money from a trust estate.
- Music. a tone introduced in advance of its harmony so that it sounds against the preceding chord.
- the act of anticipating; expectation, premonition, or foresight
- the act of taking or dealing with funds before they are legally available or due
- music an unstressed, usually short note introduced before a downbeat and harmonically related to the chord immediately following itCompare
late 14c., from Latin anticipationem (nominative anticipatio) “preconception, preconceived notion,” noun of action from past participle stem of anticipare “take care of ahead of time” (see ). Meaning “action of looking forward to” is from 1809.