- a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.
- an artist or a writer whose work is characterized by .
- Philosophy. an adherent of .
- of or relating to the realist approach to social ills; realist paintings. or to a person who embodies its principles or practices:
- a person who is aware of and accepts the physical universe, events, etc, as they are; pragmatist
- an artist or writer who seeks to represent the familiar or typical in real life rather than an idealized, formalized, or romantic interpretation
- philosophy a person who accepts realism
- (modifier) of, relating to, or characteristic of realism or realists in the arts, philosophy, etca realist school
c.1600, in philosophy, from réaliste. Also see .(adj.) + , and cf. French