- a canton in NE Switzerland, divided into two independent areas.Compare , .
- a town in and the capital of Appenzell Inner Rhoden.
- (often lowercase) a type of embroidery, used chiefly on fine hankerchiefs.
- a demicanton in NE Switzerland: Catholic. 66 sq. mi. (170 sq. km). Capital: Appenzell.
- a canton of NE Switzerland, divided in 1597 into the Protestant demicanton of Appenzell Outer Rhodes and the Catholic demicanton of Appenzell Inner Rhodes . Capitals: Herisau and Appenzell, respectively. Pop: 53 200 and Pop: 15 000 (2002 est) respectively. Areas: 243 sq km (94 sq miles) and 171 sq km (66 sq miles) respectively
- a town in NE Switzerland, capital of Appenzell Inner Rhodes demicanton. Pop: 5447 (2000)