- Classical Mythology. a member of the band of men who sailed to Colchis with Jason in the ship Argo in search of the Golden Fleece.
- (sometimes lowercase) a person in quest of something dangerous but rewarding; adventurer.
- a person who moved to California during the gold rush of 1849.
- (lowercase) .
- Greek myth one of the heroes who sailed with Jason in quest of the Golden Fleece
- a person who took part in the Californian gold rush of 1849
- another name for the
“sailor of the Argo,” 1580s (implied in argonautic), from + Greek nautes “sailor” (see ). Adventurers in the California Gold Rush of 1848 were called argonauts (because they sought the golden fleece) by those who stayed home.