- fond of or given to argument and dispute; disputatious; contentious: The law students were an unusually argumentative group.
- of or characterized by argument; controversial: an argumentative attitude toward political issues.
- Law. arguing or containing arguments suggesting that a certain fact tends toward a certain conclusion.
- given to arguing; contentious
- characterized by argument; controversial
mid-15c., “pertaining to arguments,” from Old French argumentatif or directly from Latin argumentat-, past participle stem of argumentari (see argue) + -ive. Meaning “fond of arguing” is recorded from 1660s. Related: Argumentatively; argumentativeness.