- fond of or given to The law students were an unusually argumentative group. and dispute; disputatious; contentious:
- of or characterized by an argumentative attitude toward political issues.; controversial:
- Law. or containing suggesting that a certain fact tends toward a certain conclusion.
- given to arguing; contentious
- characterized by argument; controversial
mid-15c., “pertaining to arguments,” from Old French argumentatif or directly from Latin argumentat-, past participle stem of argumentari (see ) + . Meaning “fond of arguing” is recorded from 1660s. Related: Argumentatively; argumentativeness.