- the act of ; .
- the Ascension, the bodily ascending of Christ from earth to heaven.
- (initial capital letter) .
- a British island in the S Atlantic Ocean: constituent part of St. Helena. 34 sq. mi. (88 sq. km).
- the act of ascending
- astronomy the rising of a star above the horizon
- New Testament the passing of Jesus Christ from earth into heaven (Acts 1:9)
- an island in the S Atlantic, northwest of St Helena: uninhabited until claimed by Britain in 1815. Pop: 884 (2010 est). Area: 88 sq km (34 sq miles)
c.1300, “ascent of Christ into Heaven on the 40th day after the Resurrection,” from Latin ascensionem (nominative ascensio) “a rising,” noun of action from past participle stem of ascendere “to mount, ascend, go up” (see ). Astronomical sense is recorded late 14c.; meaning “action of ascending” is from 1590s. Related: Ascensional.