verb (used without object), back-ped·aled, back-ped·al·ing or (especially British) back-ped·alled, back-ped·al·ling.
- to retard the forward motion by pressing backward on the pedal, especially of a bicycle with coaster brakes.
- to retreat from or reverse one’s previous stand on any matter; shift ground: to back-pedal after severe criticism.
- Boxing. to retreat from an opponent, especially by stepping rapidly backward.
verb -pedals, -pedalling or -pedalled or US -pedals, -pedaling or -pedaled (intr)
- to turn the pedals of a bicycle backwards
- to retract or modify a previous opinion, principle, etc
- boxing to take backward steps