verb (used with object)
- to cross (a hybrid of the first generation) with either of its parents.
- an instance of such crossing.
- to mate (a hybrid of the first generation) with one of its parents
- the offspring so produced
- the act or process of backcrossing
- To cross a hybrid with one of its parents or with an individual genetically identical to one of its parents. Backcrossing is used in research to isolate genetic characteristics found in one of the parents.
- The act of making such a cross.
- An individual resulting from such a cross.