- a stroke, slap, etc., made with the palm of the hand turned toward the body and the back of the hand turned in the direction of the stroke, slap, etc.
- (in tennis, squash, etc.) a stroke made from the side of the body opposite to that of the hand holding the racket, paddle, etc.
- handwriting that slopes toward the left.
- (in tennis, squash, etc.) of, relating to, or noting a stroke made from the side of the body opposite to that of the hand holding the racket, paddle, etc.Compare forehand(def 1).
- with the back of the hand: He hit him backhand across the face.
- from across the body; backhanded: She returned the ball backhand on the first serve.
verb (used with object)
- to strike with the back of the hand.
- to hit, produce, or accomplish with a backhand.
- to catch (a ball or the like) backhanded.
- a stroke made across the body with the back of the hand facing the direction of the stroke
- (as modifier)a backhand return
- the side on which backhand strokes are made
- handwriting slanting to the left
- with a backhand stroke
- sport to play (a shot) backhand