- a pack or knapsack, often of canvas or nylon, to be carried on one’s back, sometimes supported on a lightweight metal frame strapped to the body.
- a piece of equipment designed to be used while being carried on the back.
verb (used without object)
- to go on a hike, using a backpack: We went backpacking in the Adirondacks.
verb (used with object)
- to place or carry in a backpack or on one’s back.
- a rucksack or knapsack
- a pack carried on the back of an astronaut, containing oxygen cylinders, essential supplies, etc
- (intr) to travel about or go hiking with a backpack
- (tr) to transport (food or equipment) by backpack