- behind the proscenium in a theater, especially in the wings or dressing rooms.
- toward the rear of the stage; upstage.
- out of view of the public; in private; behind the scenes: Many of the deals were made backstage at the convention.
- located or occurring backstage.
- of or relating to activities unknown to the public.
- of or relating to the private lives of people in the entertainment industry: backstage gossip.
- Theater. a backstage area.
- behind the part of the theatre in view of the audience; in the dressing rooms, wings, etc
- towards the rear of the stage
- situated backstage
- informal away from public view