- the act of parachuting from an aircraft, especially to escape a crash, fire, etc.
- an instance of coming to the rescue, especially financially: a government bailout of a large company.
- an alternative, additional choice, or the like: If the highway is jammed, you have two side roads as bailouts.
- of, relating to, or consisting of means for relieving an emergency situation: bailout measures for hard-pressed smallbusinesses.
- an act of bailing out, usually by the government, of a failing institution or business