- pertaining to the Balkan States or their inhabitants.
- pertaining to the Balkan Peninsula.
- pertaining to the Balkan Mountains.
- the Balkans. Balkan States.
- the countries in the Balkan Peninsula: Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Greece, and the European part of Turkey.
- of, denoting, or relating to the Balkan States or their inhabitants, the Balkan Peninsula, or the Balkan Mountains
- the countries of the Balkan Peninsula: the former Yugoslavian Republics, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Greece, and the European part of TurkeyAlso called: the Balkans
probably from Turkic balkan “mountain.”