- a long bench with an upholstered seat, especially one along a wall, as in a restaurant.
- an embankment for buttressing the base of a levee and forming a berm.
- Chiefly Coastal Louisiana and East Texas. a sidewalk, especially a raised one of bricks or planks.
- Fortification. a platform or step along the inside of a parapet, for soldiers to stand on when firing.
- a ledge running across the back of a buffet.
- a bench for passengers on top of a stagecoach.
- an upholstered bench
- (formerly) a raised part behind a parapet
- a footbridge
1620s, “raised platform in a fortification,” from French banquette (15c.), from Italian banchetta, diminutive of banca “bench, shelf” (see bank (n.1)).