- a slender, external process on the jaw or other part of the head of certain fishes.
- any of various cyprinoid fishes of the genus Barbus, especially B. barbus, of European waters.
- any of several slender tactile spines or bristles that hang from the jaws of certain fishes, such as the catfish and carp
- any of several European cyprinid fishes of the genus Barbus, esp B. barbus, that resemble the carp but have a longer body and pointed snout
- A slender, whiskerlike feeler extending from the head of certain fish, such as the catfish. It is used for touch and taste.