- a person whose occupation it is to cut and dress the hair of customers, especially men, and to shave or trim the beard.
- frost smoke.
verb (used with object)
- to trim or dress the hair or beard of.
- Samuel,1910–81, U.S. composer.
- a person whose business is cutting men’s hair and shaving or trimming beards
- to cut the hair of
- to shave or trim the beard of
- Samuel . 1910–81, US composer: his works include an Adagio for Strings, adapted from the second movement of his string quartet No. 1 (1936) and the opera Vanessa (1958)
c.1300, from Anglo-French barbour (attested as a surname from early 13c.), from Old French barbeor, barbieor (Modern French barbier, which has a more restricted sense than the English word), from Vulgar Latin *barbatorem, from Latin barba “beard” (see barb (n.)). Originally also regular practitioners of surgery, they were restricted to haircutting and dentistry under Henry VIII.