noun, verb (used with object)
- a technique of hand-dyeing fabrics by using wax as a dye repellent to cover parts of a design, dyeing the uncovered fabric with a color or colors, and dissolving the wax in boiling water.
- the fabric so decorated.
verb (used with object)
- to hand-dye (material) using the technique of batik.
- a variant spelling of batik
- a process of printing fabric in which parts not to be dyed are covered by wax
- fabric printed in this way
- (as modifier)a batik shirt
1880, from Dutch, from Malay mbatik, said to be from amba “to write” + titik “dot, point.”