- blankets, sheets, etc., used on a bed; bedclothes.
- bedclothes together with a matress.
- litter; straw, etc., as a bed for animals.
- Building Trades.
- a foundation or bottom layer.
- a thin layer of putty laid in the rabbet of a window frame or muntin to give a pane of glass an even backing.
- Geology. arrangement of sedimentary rocks in strata.
- Horticulture. of or relating to a plant especially suited to or prepared for planting in an open-air bed for ornamental displays: bedding hyacinths; bedding begonias.
- a piece of furniture upon which or within which a person sleeps, rests, or stays when not well.
- the mattress and bedclothes together with the bedstead of a bed.
- the bedstead alone.
- the act of or time for sleeping: Now for a cup of cocoa and then bed.
- the use of a bed for the night; lodging: I reserved a bed at the old inn.
- the marital relationship.
- any resting place: making his bed under a tree.
- something resembling a bed in form or position.
- a piece or area of ground in a garden or lawn in which plants are grown.
- an area in a greenhouse in which plants are grown.
- the plants in such areas.
- the bottom of a lake, river, sea, or other body of water.
- a piece or part forming a foundation or base.
- a layer of rock; a stratum.
- a foundation surface of earth or rock supporting a track, pavement, or the like: a gravel bed for the roadway.
- Building Trades.
- the underside of a stone, brick, slate, tile, etc., laid in position.
- the upper side of a stone laid in position.
- the layer of mortar in which a brick, stone, etc., is laid.
- the natural stratification of a stone: a stone laid on bed.
- Furniture. skirt(def 6b).
- the flat surface in a printing press on which the form of type is laid.
- Transportation. the body or, sometimes, the floor or bottom of a truck or trailer.
- Chemistry. a compact mass of a substance functioning in a reaction as a catalyst or reactant.
- the canvas surface of a trampoline.
- the smooth, wooden floor of a bowling alley.
- the slate surface of a billiard table to which the cloth is fastened.
- Zoology. flesh enveloping the base of a claw, especially the germinative layer beneath the claw.
- Also called mock, mock mold. Shipbuilding. a shaped steel pattern upon which furnaced plates for the hull of a vessel are hammered to shape.
- bed and board.
verb (used with object), bed·ded, bed·ding.
- to provide with a bed.
- to put to bed.
- Horticulture. to plant in or as in a bed.
- to lay flat.
- to place in a bed or layer: to bed oysters.
- to embed, as in a substance: bedding the flagstones in concrete.
- to take or accompany to bed for purposes of sexual intercourse.
verb (used without object), bed·ded, bed·ding.
- to have sleeping accommodations: He says we can bed there for the night.
- Geology. to form a compact layer or stratum.
- (of a metal structural part) to lie flat or close against another part.
- Archaic. to go to bed.
- bed down,
- to make a bed for (a person, animal, etc.).
- to retire to bed: They put out the fire and decided to bed down for the night.
- get up on the wrong side of the bed, to be irritable or bad-tempered from the start of a day: Never try to reason with him when he’s gotten up on the wrong side of the bed.
- go to bed,
- to retire, especially for the night.
- to engage in sexual relations.
- go to bed with, to have sexual intercourse with.
- in bed,
- beneath the covers of a bed.
- engaged in sexual intercourse.
- jump/get into bed with, to form a close, often temporary, alliance, usually with an unlikely ally: Industry was charged with jumping into bed with labor on the issue.
- make a bed, to fit a bed with sheets and blankets.
- make one’s bed, to be responsible for one’s own actions and their results: You’ve made your bed—now lie in it.
- put to bed,
- to help (a child, invalid, etc.) go to bed.
- Printing.to lock up (forms) in a press in preparation for printing.
- to work on the preparation of (an edition of a newspaper, periodical, etc.) up to the time of going to press.
- bedclothes, sometimes considered together with a mattress
- litter, such as straw, for animals
- something acting as a foundation, such as mortar under a brick
- the arrangement of a mass of rocks into distinct layers; stratification
- Bachelor of Education
- a piece of furniture on which to sleep
- the mattress and bedclothes on such a piece of furniturean unmade bed
- sleep or resttime for bed
- any place in which a person or animal sleeps or rests
- med a unit of potential occupancy in a hospital or residential institution
- informal a place for sexual intercourse
- informal sexual intercourse
- a plot of ground in which plants are grown, esp when considered together with the plants in ita flower bed
- the bottom of a river, lake, or sea
- a part of this used for cultivation of a plant or animaloyster beds
- a layer of crushed rock, gravel, etc, used as a foundation for a road, railway, etc
- a layer of mortar in a masonry wall
- the underside of a brick, tile, slate, etc, when in positionCompare back 1 (def. 12)
- any underlying structure or part
- a layer of rock, esp sedimentary rock
- the flat part of a letterpress printing press onto or against which the type forme is placed
- a layer of solid particles of an absorbent, catalyst, or reagent through which a fluid is passed during the course of a chemical reaction or other process
- a machine base on which a moving part carrying a tool or workpiece slideslathe bed
- a bed of roses a situation of comfort or ease
- to be brought to bed archaic to give birth (to)
- bed of nails
- a situation or position of extreme difficulty
- a bed studded with nails on which a fakir lies
- get out of bed on the wrong side informal to be ill-tempered from the start of the day
- go to bed
- (often foll by with)to have sexual intercourse (with)
- journalism printing(of a newspaper, magazine, etc) to go to press; start printing
- in bed with informal cooperating closely with (another person, organization, government, etc.) esp covertly
- put to bed
- journalismto finalize work on (a newspaper, magazine, etc) so that it is ready to go to press
- printingto lock up the type forme of (a publication) in the press before printing
- take to one’s bed to remain in bed, esp because of illness
verb beds, bedding or bedded
- (usually foll by down) to go to or put into a place to sleep or rest
- (tr) to have sexual intercourse with
- (tr) to place, fix, or sink firmly into position; embed
- geology to form or be arranged in a distinct layer; stratify
- (tr often foll by out) to plant in a bed of soil
later Old English beddinge “bedding, bed covering,” from bed. Meaning “bottom layer of anything” is from c.1400.
Old English beddian “to provide with a bed or lodgings,” from bed (n.). From c.1300 as “to go to bed,” also “to copulate with, to go to bed with;” 1440 as “to lay out (land) in plots or beds.” Related: Bedded; bedding.
Old English bedd “bed, couch, resting place, garden plot,” from Proto-Germanic *badjam “sleeping place dug in the ground” (cf. Old Frisian, Old Saxon bed, Middle Dutch bedde, Old Norse beðr, Old High German betti, German Bett, Gothic badi “bed”), from PIE root *bhedh- “to dig, pierce” (cf. Hittite beda- “to pierce, prick,” Greek bothyros “pit,” Latin fossa “ditch,” Lithuanian bedre “to dig,” Breton bez “grave”). Both “sleeping” and “gardening” senses are in Old English. Meaning “bottom of a lake, sea, watercourse” is from 1580s.
- A piece of furniture for reclining and sleeping, typically consisting of a flat, rectangular frame and a mattress resting on springs.
- Such a piece of furniture used for rest, recuperation, or treatment.
- A supporting, underlying, or securing base or structure, especially an anatomical one.
- A layer of sediments or rock, such as coal, that extends under a large area and has a distinct set of characteristics that distinguish it from other layers below and above it.
- The bottom of a body of water, such as a lake, stream, or ocean.
In addition to the idioms beginning with bed
- bed and board
- bed and breakfast
- bed of roses
- early to bed
- get up on the wrong side of bed
- go to bed with
- make one’s bed and lie in it
- make the bed
- put to bed
- should have stood in bed
- strange bedfellows