- a short, relatively high-pitched tone produced by a horn, electronic device, or the like as a signal, summons, or warning.
- one of the periodic signals sounded by a beeper.
verb (used without object)
- to make or emit such a sound: When the timer beeps, take the cake out of the oven.
verb (used with object)
- to sound (a horn, warning signal, etc.): impatient drivers beeping their horns.
- to announce, warn, summon, etc., by beeping: The doctor was beeped to call the hospital.
- a short high-pitched sound, esp one made by the horn of a car, bicycle, etc, or by electronic apparatus
- to make or cause to make such a noise
1927, imitative of automobile horns (originally of the sound of a certain type of automobile horn among several types in use in the years after the klaxon horn was brought into use c.1910). Used as a noun and verb by 1929. Related: Beeped; beeping.