- warlike; given to waging war.
- of warlike character; aggressively hostile; bellicose: a belligerent tone.
- waging war; engaged in war: a peace treaty between belligerent powers.
- pertaining to war or to those engaged in war: belligerent rights.
- a state or nation at war.
- a member of the military forces of such a state.
- marked by readiness to fight or argue; aggressivea belligerent tone
- relating to or engaged in a legally recognized war or warfare
- a person or country engaged in fighting or war
1570s, from Latin belligerantem (nominative belligerans), past participle of belligerare “to wage war,” from bellum “war” (see bellicose) + gerere “to bear, to carry” (see gest). The noun meaning “party or nation at war” is from 1811. Related: Belligerently.