noun, plural bet·o·nies.
- a plant, Stachys (formerly Betonica) officinalis, of the mint family, having hairy leaves and dense spikes of purple flowers, formerly used in medicine and dyeing.
- any of various similar plants, especially of the genus Pedicularis.
noun plural -nies
- a Eurasian plant, Stachys (or Betonica) officinalis, with a spike of reddish-purple flowers, formerly used in medicine and dyeing: family Lamiaceae (labiates)
- any of several related plants of the genus Stachys
- wood betony a North American scrophulariaceous plant, Pedicularis canadensisSee also lousewort