- Also called biomedical engineering. the application of engineering principles and techniques to problems in medicine and biology, as the design and production of artificial limbs and organs.
- the branch of engineering that deals with applications of biological processes to the manufacture of products, as the use of fermentation to produce beer.
- the design and manufacture of aids, such as artificial limbs, to rectify defective body functions
- the design, manufacture, and maintenance of engineering equipment used in biosynthetic processes, such as fermentation
- See biomedical engineering.