- a thick cream soup, especially of puréed shellfish or vegetables.
- ice cream made with powdered macaroons or nuts.
- a point, extra turn, or the like, as in court tennis or croquet.
- biscuit1(def 4).
- Also called biscuit ware. vitreous china that is left unglazed.
- a pinkish-tan color.
- having the color bisque.
- a thick rich soup made from shellfish
- a pink to yellowish tan colour
- (as modifier)a bisque tablecloth
- ceramics another name for biscuit (def. 4)
- tennis golf croquet an extra point, stroke, or turn allowed to an inferior player, usually taken when desired
soup, 1640s, bisk, from French bisque “crayfish soup” (17c.), said to be an altered form of Biscaye “Biscay.” Gamillscheg says: “Volkstümliche Entlehnung aus norm. bisque ‘schlechtes Getränk.'” Modern form in English from 1731.
“unglazed porcelain,” 1660s, alteration of biscuit.