- both bitter and sweet to the taste: bittersweet chocolate.
- both pleasant and painful or regretful: a bittersweet memory.
- Also called woody nightshade. a climbing or trailing plant, Solanum dulcamara, of the nightshade family, having small, violet, star-shaped flowers with a protruding yellow center and scarlet berries.
- Also called climbing bittersweet. any climbing plant of the genus Celastrus, bearing orange capsules opening to expose red-coated seeds, especially C. scandens.
- pleasure mingled with pain or regret: the bittersweet of parting.
- any of several North American woody climbing plants of the genus Celastrus, esp C. scandens, having orange capsules that open to expose scarlet-coated seeds: family Celastraceae
- another name for woody nightshade
- tasting of or being a mixture of bitterness and sweetness
- pleasant but tinged with sadness