- an entertainer, especially in a minstrel or vaudeville show, made up in the role of a black person. By the mid-20th century, these entertainers had declined in popularity because their comic portrayal of negative racial stereotypes was considered offensive.
- the facial makeup, as burnt cork, used in this role: They performed in blackface.
- Printing. a heavy-faced type, usually darker than boldface.
- a performer made up to imitate a Black person
- the make-up used by such a performer, usually consisting of burnt cork
- a breed of sheep having a dark face