- a large, irregular spot or blot.
- Plant Pathology.
- a diseased, discolored spot or area on a plant.
- a disease so characterized, usually accompanied by cankers and lesions.
- a skin eruption; blemish.
verb (used with object)
- to mark with blotches; blot, spot, or blur: The floor of the forest was blotched with cool, dark moss.
- Textiles. of or relating to blotch printing, or to the colored ground produced by this process.
- an irregular spot or discoloration, esp a dark and relatively large one such as an ink stain
- to become or cause to become marked by such discoloration
- (intr) (of a pen or ink) to write or flow unevenly in blotches
c.1600, perhaps a blend of blot and botch or patch.
- Any of several plant diseases caused by fungi and resulting in brown or black dead areas on leaves or fruit.