noun British Slang.

  1. a scientist or technical expert.


  1. British informal a scientist, esp one carrying out military research
  2. a person who has extensive skill or knowledge in a particular fielda Treasury boffin
  3. informal someone who is considered to be very clever, often to the exclusion of all non-academic interests

“person engaged in innovative research,” especially in aviation, 1945; earlier “elderly naval officer” (1941), probably from one of the “Mr. Boffins” of English literature (e.g. “Our Mutual Friend”).

49 queries 0.554