- a person or thing that boosts, especially an energetic and enthusiastic supporter.
- Electricity. a device connected in series with a current for increasing or decreasing the nominal circuit voltage.
- Railroads. any machine, device, phenomenon, etc., that helps to move a train, as a tailwind, downgrade, roller bearings, or especially a helper locomotive.
- Military. an explosive more powerful than a primer, for ensuring the detonation of the main charge of a shell.
- a rocket engine used as the principal source of thrust in the takeoff of a rocket or missile.
- the first stage containing this engine and its fuel supply, which may or may not be detached from the rocket when the fuel has been consumed.
- Medicine/Medical. Also called booster dose, booster shot. a dose of an immunizing substance given to maintain or renew the effect of a previous one.
- Pharmacology. a chemical compound, medicinal substance, or the like, that serves as a synergist.
- a radio-frequency amplifier for connecting between a radio or television antenna and the receiving set to intensify the received signal.
- an auxiliary pump, used in a pipeline or other system, to add to or maintain a prevailing amount of pressure or vacuum.
- Slang. a shoplifter or petty thief.
- a person or thing that supports, assists, or increases power or effectiveness
- Also called: launch vehicle the first stage of a multistage rocket
- radio television
- a radio-frequency amplifier connected between an aerial and a receiver to amplify weak incoming signals
- a radio-frequency amplifier that amplifies incoming signals, retransmitting them at higher power
- another name for
- short for
- slang, mainly US a shoplifter
1890, “one who boosts” something, agent noun from booster chair is attested under that name from 1960.(v.). Electrical sense is recorded from 1894. Young child’s
- An additional dose of an immunizing agent, such as a vaccine or toxoid, given at a time after the initial dose to sustain the immune response elicited by the previous dose of the same agent.booster dose booster shot
- An additional dose of an immunizing agent, such as a vaccine or toxoid, given at a time period of weeks to years after the initial dose to sustain the immune response elicited by the first dose. Tetanus, diphtheria, and measles vaccines are commonly given in booster doses.